Stealth Alarms, Stargate Monitoring to be shut down for 45 days...
Ben
2004-10-01 13:08:56 UTC
http://www.cfcn.ca/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/B,C/20040930/stealthsuspended?brand=generic&hub=&tf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.html&cf=CFCNPlus/generic/hubs/frontpage.cfg&slug=stealthsuspended&date=20040930&archive=CFCNPlus&ad_page_name=&nav=home&subnav=fullstory

Stealth Alarms suspended

CFCN.ca

POSTED AT 6:28 PM Thursday, September 30

The city is shutting down Stealth Alarms for 45 days.

Stealth Alarm Systems and Stargate Monitoring Inc. lost an appeal with the
city on Thursday.

Effective October 30, Stealth cannot sell, install, repair or monitor its
alarms in Calgary for more than a month.

The suspension is based on over 50 complaints from Calgary consumers about
unfair business practices and misrepresentation.

Stealth's newly appointed vice president told the appeal hearing that the
company has been trying to address those problems.

Approximately 60-thousand customers of Stealth Alarms will be affected by
the suspension.

The city has arranged for the Calgary Police Service to monitor the alarms
until the company puts a contingency plan in place.

Stealth says having to shut down operations for 45 days will have an effect
on both customers and employees.

The city maintains the suspension was warranted.

Stealth is also facing 32 charges laid by the provincial government.
Fourteen come under the Fair Trading Act.

The company makes its first appearance in provincial court on October 8.

Any clients with questions or concerns can contact Alberta Government
Services Consumer Division at 1-877-427-4088.
Ben
2004-10-01 22:39:35 UTC
Interesting... a company called "Secureacom" has now assumed all current
contracts from Stealth Alarms. I wanted to know more about the "situation",
but the CSR at Secureacom couldn't comment about it. She referred me to
their website, www.secureacom.com. However, if you go there, you'll see
it's not really set up.

I did a WHOIS on the domain secureacom.com, and surprise, it's registered to
Stealth Alarms. In other words, Secureacom is just Stealth Alarms by
another name. Since the City of Calgary will be yanking Stealth Alarms'
business license, it looks like they can get around the city's "shut down"
by operating under a different name. Sneaky.

I still can't find out anything about the allegations of business
violations, misleading marketing, etc. Hopefully these things will surface
in the near future.

Meanwhile, as a current Stealth customer, I cannot recommend them without a
guilty conscience. I have no major complaints about their monitoring and
response times; most of my disappointment is with their sales/after-sales
customer service. Too bad I still have almost 4 years tied into their
contract.
Randa
2004-10-02 00:28:20 UTC
Good catch Ben.

CFCN knows about it now. I forwarded this info and an explanation
of what it all may mean to the the reporter and the assignment
editor.

I have asked them if Stealth Alarms up here in Edmonton was
investigated as well - as I haven't heard a peep about the charges
up here.

20 minutes after I e-mailed her, Sharol replied to my e-mail:

---

I just learned of Secureacom's connection with Stealth
today....I'm sure the city will be looking into it, but I suspect
there is
nothing illegal about what Stealth has done.

I have forwarded some of my information to the Edmonton CTV
station.....I
don't know if they have pursued it at their end or not. I suspect
a call to
the station would answer that question.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop!

----
Ben
2004-10-02 03:38:41 UTC
When I checked Stealth Alarms' website this morning (Oct 1), they didn't
have the following item posted, which they have dated Sept. 30. It must
have shown up sometime today. (I'm probably reading too much into this, but
note the two spellings, Securecom and Secureacom... seems like it was a bit
of a rushed effort, although it could just be a webmaster with fat fingers.
Also, I searched the Canadian (Strategis) Trademark and U.S.
Patent/Trademark Office databases, and couldn't find any active records for
Secureacom nor Stealthlink, both of which they indicate as a registered
trademark (®). A minor detail, but it does make one wonder.)

I see the domain, secureacom.com, has been registered since March 2000, so
it's hard to say whether Stealth created this other company way back when
for a business transfer like this, or if they bought an existing
domain/company recently with the anticipation of a loss of license.

--------------------
September 30th, 2004

Stealth Alarm Systems Inc. is pleased to announce the appointment of
Securecom® LTD. under contract, as the new licensed monitoring station to
provide services to all our clients in Alberta.

All client contracts currently in force have been assigned to
Secureacom to ensure your needs will be provided appropriate professional
attention and in addition that your costs will be maintained. Secureacom®
LTD., is dedicated to providing for all your security and service
requirements all of their employees are trained professionals.

Secureacom® LTD. which has a UL, and ULC listed facility, has been in
place performing duplicate coverage on all monitored accounts for the past
several weeks. Secureacom® LTD. is a licensed and bonded company and all of
its employees also hold required licenses. Secureacom® LTD. is the only
corporation in Western Canada that has the required technology to monitor
Stealthlink® (this is the radio back-up technology which is activated in the
event of severed phone lines)

Stealth Alarm Systems Inc. has now become a purely administrative
support entity and, as such no longer requires business licensing in
Alberta.
Post by Ben
Stealth Alarms suspended
CFCN.ca
POSTED AT 6:28 PM Thursday, September 30
The city is shutting down Stealth Alarms for 45 days.
begin 666 lineleft.gif
M1TE&.#EA'0`!`,0``!HA-!8<*0P0&B8S535%9PP.% @)"R$L42DZ92T\6QXJ
M2#9*>RM <C1+@R K0S9/B!8?-A49)"<Q2Q 4'B$N2P``````````````````
M`````````````````````````"'Y! ``````+ `````=``$```47H&$4A2!,
341! 0.M0DG(,0T(0"/,T2P@`.P``
`
end

begin 666 spacer.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```/___P```"'_"T%$3T)%.DE2,2XP`M[M`"'Y
6! $```(`+ `````!``$```("5 $`.P``
`
end

begin 666 lineright.gif
M1TE&.#EA'0`!`,0``!HA-!8<*0P0&B8S535%9PP.% @)"R$L42DZ92T\6QXJ
M2#9*>RM <C1+@R K0S9/B!8?-A49)"<Q2Q 4'B$N2P``````````````````
M`````````````````````````"'Y! ``````+ `````=``$```47X-(\#$(0
3R3 <BD0Y0 P%030)0E$81@@`.P``
`
end
veranda
Nice detective work ! Professional journalism too .
Randa
2004-10-02 20:46:55 UTC
Post by Ben
existing domain/company recently with the anticipation of a loss
of
Post by Ben
license.
You might want to get in touch with the reporter:

Sharol Josephson
CFCN TV
403.240.5606

sjosephson AT ctv DOT ca

I don't know how much of a keener she is though. She could be all
fluff or a real pit-bull. In my experience, local news
'trouble-shooters' often don't stay with a story for long, due
either to budget, time or pressures from management.

I suppose you could also make enquiries with Alberta Government
Services - they've laid the charges that prompted this.
http://www3.gov.ab.ca/gs/information/publications/acts_regs/fair_trading_act.cfm
1-877-427-4088
a***@elitepartner.net
2017-03-31 03:43:24 UTC
Post by Ben
[...]
Super strange no one followed up on the story as most if not all allegations were dropped as the evidence was leak and exaggerated by the media.