Nenshi just tilted many voters away from tories - in Calgary
morals trump wars
2015-09-07 21:26:33 UTC
CBC News Posted: Sep 04, 2015

Nenshi lashes out at Chris Alexander on refugee crisis
Calgary mayor says maybe it's time to bring back 'ministerial accountability'

Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi didn't pull any punches when asked about the Syrian refugee crisis and the Canadian government's response.

He slammed the "talking points" about attacking ISIS as a solution to the crisis and said Canadians are asking whether the airstrikes are working.

"No one is saying you bring in the refugees and that solves the whole problem," he said.

"But regardless of all the rest of it, we have tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of desperate people, and we have a country that's known as being a safe haven and we have to be able to do that."
Taking on the minister

He saved his strongest condemnation for Chris Alexander, the federal immigration minister who was once a Canadian diplomat stationed in Afghanistan.

He lashed out at Alexander's blaming of the media for not bringing more attention to the Syrian crisis, a comment that resulted in a strong backlash against the minister.

"As if federal government policy should be based on what's on the cover of the Calgary Sun or on Power & Politics every morning is ridiculous," Nenshi said.

"Minister Alexander should have been a star. He was an incredible diplomat. By all accounts he's a brilliant man, but he's also the minister behind Bill C-24, which I remind you means that me -- born at St. Mike's hospital in downtown Toronto -- could have my Canadian citizenship stripped," he said.
[- - -]

Ministerial responsibility

Nenshi went on to lambaste the minister for preferring to "insult other parties rather than answer questions," and said he wants an answer to just how many Syrian refugees have come to Canada since the number "changes every day."

"If the minister can't answer those basic questions, well let's be blunt here. We used to have a principle called ministerial responsibility, ministerial accountability, that if the bureaucrats in your department are not doing a great job, you take responsibility," said Nenshi.

"It's been a long time since we've had that in Canada and maybe we need it back."

No "maybe" about it, Mayor Nenshi . . . .

joe fivepack
2015-09-27 16:59:06 UTC
Just the opposite with me: I will not vote again for nenshi

http://cdnpix.com/show/imgs/d055d57dd3d8691ed73181960c32f6d1.jpg
https://canadiansituations.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/crimeministerharper_.jpg?w=474