Campaign to recall Alberta's Danielle Smith hits the streets
(=_=)
2015-01-01 02:01:41 UTC
CTVNews.ca Staff - Sunday, December 28, 2014

A movement calling on Danielle Smith, former leader of Alberta's Wildrose
party, to step down after she crossed the floor and joined the governing
Progressive Conservatives is ramping up.

An online recall petition was launched after Smith and eight other Wildrose
MLAs officially joined Alberta's Progressive Conservatives earlier this month.

The Wildrose party was reduced to only five MLAs after Smith and the others
crossed the floor to join the PCs, who hold a majority in the provincial
legislature.

The petition is calling on Smith to resign her seat and run in a byelection to
win it back.

On Saturday, about 20 "Recall Danielle" volunteers canvassed the streets in
Okotoks and Highwood to gather more signatures. Many residents expressed anger
at the floor crossing.

"This whole crossing over has just broke everything apart," resident Jack
Sluice said.

Chris Derrick and Malcolm Achtman were among the volunteers circulating the
petition in Smith's riding of Highwood.

Derrick said the entire affair doesn't respect voters' wishes. "That it's maybe
20,000 to 25,000 votes that have more or less been chucked in the trash … that
doesn't sit well with me," he said.

Achtman said the floor crossing is also damaging to the official opposition.

"It's important to have some kind of opposition," he said. "It seems to me,
right now, that the Liberals would become the official opposition, but they're
so low on the totem pole… that it wouldn't really be an opposition as such."

The online petition to recall Smith was started just before the Christmas
holidays by two University of Calgary students. It has gained more than 7,500
signatures as of Sunday, representing more than 20 per cent of the votes Smith
received during the last election.

Those calling for her to step down come from all parts of the political spectrum.

afternoon:

"I am continuing to gauge the reaction from my constituents and will be doing
more consultation in the New Year. At the moment I am focused on two of the
biggest issues in my constituency: helping to resolve outstanding DRP claims in
High River and the need for a water pipeline for Okotoks. I'll continue to do
the job I was elected to do, which is to represent the residents of Highwood to
the best of my ability."

Meanwhile, the petition organizers said they are planning to present the
petition to Smith at her constituency office.
The Doctor
2015-01-01 13:59:28 UTC
Post by (=_=)
CTVNews.ca Staff - Sunday, December 28, 2014
[...]
REcall the CONservatives!!
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Merry Christmas 2014 and Happy New Year 2015
M.I.Wakefield
2015-01-01 15:14:32 UTC
Post by The Doctor
REcall the CONservatives!!
Since the NDP were incompetent, and the Liberals are under criminal
investigation and incompetent, we in Ontario recall the Conservatives
fondly.
(=_=)
2015-01-01 19:01:20 UTC
Only thing is, most of us still vote for the Liberals - thus their majority.
M.I.Wakefield
2015-01-01 19:27:58 UTC
Post by M.I.Wakefield
Post by M.I.Wakefield
Since the NDP were incompetent, and the Liberals are under criminal
investigation and incompetent, we in Ontario recall the Conservatives fondly.
Only thing is, most of us still vote for the Liberals - thus their majority.
Awww ... you couldn't even last six hours out of my kill-file before you
posted a forged message.

Oh well, better luck next year.

*Plonk*
(=_=)
2015-01-01 19:57:15 UTC
Awww ... you couldn't even last six hours out of my kill-file before you posted
a forged message.
Oh well, better luck next year.
*Plonk*
What does the 'plonk' mean, Dobranski . . . . you're on the toilet when
you're posting to usenet? {>_<}