Calgary's worst Restaurants
Anon
2003-10-06 18:24:49 UTC
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?

I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our way
of life as a society.
Anyone ever work there? The last chef at James Joyce was a full blown
cocaine addict, and so is the chef at Joyce on 4th currently, its
funny that the management/owners know that they are addicts, that they
are doing it constantly there and selling it to other employee's. You
must have some poor ethics to purposely turn a blind eye to extreme
illegle substance abuse in your company. Never eating there again.
Anyone who works/worked there can confirm this? or tell any more? Ive
heard this from 4 different employee's so far from there.
Pham Nuwen
2003-10-06 19:16:07 UTC
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
Earl's
Chessecake Cafe
DiAngelos (?) - the italian place on Macleod just south of Heritage Dr.
Post by Anon
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our
way of life as a society.
??? what are they raping and cooking small children ??? You make it
sound like they are. If the food is ok, I'm not sure how that makes them
a bad restaurant.
Post by Anon
Anyone ever work there?
Nope, how about you?
Post by Anon
The last chef at James Joyce was a full blown cocaine addict, and so
is the chef at Joyce on 4th currently,
so? as long as they don't fuck up my food, what do I care?
Post by Anon
its funny that the management/owners know that they are addicts, that
they are doing it constantly there and selling it to other
employee's.
Until they are caught in the act of something illegal the management
can't fire them for just being addicts.
Post by Anon
You must have some poor ethics to purposely turn a blind eye to
extreme illegle substance abuse in your company.
And just why is cocaine use illegal? Oh, ya the war on SOME drugs tells
us it is... what a crock. The law is an ass. Besides show me a
restaurant/bar in calgary where the employees don't do drugs, and I'll
show you one where they just haven't been caught yet.
Post by Anon
Never eating there again.
Such is your choice, it's called voting with your feet.
Post by Anon
Anyone who works/worked there can confirm this? or tell any
more? Ive heard this from 4 different employee's so far from there.
Let me guess you /are/were/was going to be/ one of them. I find it hard
to believe you posted this slur, and made sure you were going to be
Anonymous, if this is just something you heard. I'm guessing you have an
axe to grind here, wanna tell us what it is?
--
/---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---\
I ***@libertydice.org II No nation was ever ruined by I
\---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---/
News
2003-10-06 21:38:40 UTC
Post by Pham Nuwen
Post by Anon
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our
way of life as a society.
??? what are they raping and cooking small children ??? You make it
sound like they are. If the food is ok, I'm not sure how that makes them
a bad restaurant.
There isn't a restaurant kitchen in the world that doesn't have drugs
flowing through it. It's a fact of life in cooking - drugs exist.
Anon
2003-10-07 15:34:19 UTC
Post by Anon
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our
way of life as a society.
??? what are they raping and cooking small children ??? You make it
sound like they are. If the food is ok, I'm not sure how that makes them
a bad restaurant.
Post by Anon
Anyone ever work there?
Nope, how about you?
Post by Anon
Anyone who works/worked there can confirm this? or tell any
more? Ive heard this from 4 different employee's so far from there.
Let me guess you /are/were/was going to be/ one of them. I find it hard
to believe you posted this slur, and made sure you were going to be
Anonymous, if this is just something you heard. I'm guessing you have an
axe to grind here, wanna tell us what it is?
No i dont/never have worked there, i work right next door to it. We
get a lot of there former/present employees applying/working at our
place. Hear a lot of stories from them. Be ignorant all you want, but
it is a *real* problem. The last chef at james joyce apparantly was
freely snorting lines of coke off his office desk and other places,
and each and every employee knew it, even the owners. What did they
do? Nothing. They just let him keep doing it till he fucked them
totally over stealing money for his addiction. It doesent matter how
good an employee you are it does not give u the right to do that shit.
Yeah drugs go on in the workplace at a lot of places but when it has
been pointed out to management that something illegle is going on and
they dont do anything....Apparently its still going on there at both
locations. Maybe im just being to "professional" in this industry im
in, time for a change;)
News
2003-10-07 16:22:05 UTC
I gotta ask....The Bear and Kilt or the Bikini Bar Upstairs?
Anon
2003-10-14 16:18:50 UTC
Actually Mcnally book store. So 2 doors down.
News
2003-10-15 20:53:28 UTC
Post by Anon
Post by News
Post by Anon
No i dont/never have worked there, i work right next door to it.
I gotta ask....The Bear and Kilt or the Bikini Bar Upstairs?
Actually Mcnally book store. So 2 doors down.
Fair Enough!

Pham Nuwen
2003-10-07 17:20:22 UTC
Post by Anon
No i dont/never have worked there, i work right next door to it.
Ah, so your axe is that it's the competition...
Post by Anon
Maybe im just being to "professional" in this industry im in, time
for a change;)
I would call slandering the competition very wise, or professional.
--
/---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---\
\---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---/
BigC
2003-10-06 20:27:18 UTC
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our way
of life as a society.
Anyone ever work there? The last chef at James Joyce was a full blown
cocaine addict, and so is the chef at Joyce on 4th currently, its
funny that the management/owners know that they are addicts, that they
are doing it constantly there and selling it to other employee's. You
must have some poor ethics to purposely turn a blind eye to extreme
illegle substance abuse in your company. Never eating there again.
Anyone who works/worked there can confirm this? or tell any more? Ive
heard this from 4 different employee's so far from there.
I've never head of someone rating a restaurant on the personal habits
of the employee's.
Next thing you know you'll you'll be telling us not to eat at a
restaurant because the owner is a liberal and you're a conservate (or
vice versa)
Pham Nuwen
2003-10-06 20:38:25 UTC
Post by BigC
I've never head of someone rating a restaurant on the personal habits
of the employee's.
??? I do it all the time. I wouldn't eat anywhere I see the employees
doing things like... not washing their hands, not washing the prep
surface, picking their nose, etc....

I think you mean that he shouldn't be rating it on the personal problems
of the employee's.
Post by BigC
Next thing you know you'll you'll be telling us not to eat at a
restaurant because the owner is a liberal and you're a conservate (or
vice versa)
Don't put it past him. There is from what I can tell a definite axe
being ground here, and as such I suspect the OP would say just about
anything, to smear these particular restaurants.
--
/---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---\
\---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---/
Jon Pike
2003-10-06 21:18:54 UTC
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
Brewsters, they don't get their plates clean.
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet
h***@salmahayeksknockers.edu
2003-10-06 21:28:11 UTC
Post by Anon
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our way
of life as a society.
I don't like JJ much either, but for a totally different reason: Its
shameless celtic pretention.

JJ is more uppity than rustic... a nice enough place, but doesn't quite jibe
with my idea of what a pub should be.

I do like the staff though, cuz they alway seem so outgoing, confident,
and hyperalert.

The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of
tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of
tyranny a good conscience.

- Albert Camus

***@m3m3t1ccand1ru.com http://www.memeticcandiru.com
BigC
2003-10-06 22:11:17 UTC
Post by h***@salmahayeksknockers.edu
Post by Anon
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our way
of life as a society.
I don't like JJ much either, but for a totally different reason: Its
shameless celtic pretention.
JJ is more uppity than rustic... a nice enough place, but doesn't quite jibe
with my idea of what a pub should be.
I do like the staff though, cuz they alway seem so outgoing, confident,
and hyperalert.
A couple of the waitresses there came straight from Dublin so I'm not
sure how much more authenitic you can be.

I asked one of them why they don't draw the shamrock on top of the
Guiness head and she just blurted out "Blashphemy" and walked off.
heh
Determinator
2003-10-07 03:06:03 UTC
Post by Anon
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our way
of life as a society.
I don't like JJ much either, but for a totally different reason: Its
shameless celtic pretention.
it's down the street from me and after the third visit i got
tired of being ignored by the staff for my second beer

haven't been back since
1234
u***@127.0.0.1
Jerry
2003-10-07 02:28:15 UTC
Well in Chinatown:

I will never go into Silver Dragon its the worst! Not sure if it changed
since a year but thats the only chinese restaurant I won't go into...

Bubble Tea wise.....I wouldn't even buy Bubble Tea in the T&T Plaza one is
too expensive and very small and the other one has jelly that is hard like a
rock..

Thanks
Jerry
Dr. Fred Mbogo
2003-10-07 04:57:09 UTC
Post by Jerry
Bubble Tea wise.....I wouldn't even buy Bubble Tea in the T&T Plaza one
is too expensive and very small and the other one has jelly that is hard
like a rock..
What's the appeal of bubble tea anyway? As I understand it, all it is is
regular tea with blobs of unidentified chemicals suspended in it. Give me
the neato figure-8 straw any day!
Jerry
2003-10-07 05:18:20 UTC
Gawsh! You think thats what it is???

No, it isn't...its a drink with round jelly with fruice juice in them like
Mango and Strawberry mixxed together..

Jerry
Dr. Fred Mbogo
2003-10-08 04:52:29 UTC
Post by Jerry
Gawsh! You think thats what it is???
No, it isn't...its a drink with round jelly with fruice juice in them like
Mango and Strawberry mixxed together..
I don't see how that's different, and I still don't see what
the appeal is. It seems to be a really popular fad though, as
drink fads go.
DBR
2003-10-07 04:06:00 UTC
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our way
of life as a society.
Anyone ever work there? The last chef at James Joyce was a full blown
cocaine addict, and so is the chef at Joyce on 4th currently, its
funny that the management/owners know that they are addicts, that they
are doing it constantly there and selling it to other employee's. You
must have some poor ethics to purposely turn a blind eye to extreme
illegle substance abuse in your company. Never eating there again.
Anyone who works/worked there can confirm this? or tell any more? Ive
heard this from 4 different employee's so far from there.
I worked at the James Joyce beginning about six months after they opened.
Actually the week I started, was teh week Riverdance was in town, and teh
place was nuts.

As for working there, I didn't like it, I didn't hate it - it was a job
while I was going to school. However, during the five months I was there,
they went through three chefs.

IIRC, the first was fired, he had serious anger problems, IMO, and frankley
was a mean guy. The second somehow screwed the owner (Curran?) and some of
the employees out out of some serious dollars, then took off... I always
thought he was a nice guy though, a Texan I believe. The third was one of
the chefs who had been working there for some time. Then I quit, and I
don't know the rest of the story.

I honestly never ate there though, so can't tell you about the food, LOL!
Maybe we worked there at the same time...

"To infinity and beyond!"
Dr. Fred Mbogo
2003-10-07 04:54:09 UTC
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
All the ones I haven't been to. :)

Obvious targets are the lesser chains - Denny's, Earl's, Humpty's,
the Scottish Clown etc.

In terms of bad non-chain restaurants, I haven't had too many bad experiences
in Calgary. The Pied Pickle didn't exactly thrill me but it was still edible.
That pseudochinese place on Macleod really sucks (can't remember the name -
the one Pham likes).

Obviously I really liked Peter's drive-in, but the last few times I went
there the meat was dangerously undercooked. I hope they've shaped up.

I miss the Bamboo Inn in Chinook Mall. That was a nice place to get
pseudochinese food.
News
Home Food Inn??
Pham Nuwen
2003-10-07 17:16:11 UTC
Post by News
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
In terms of bad non-chain restaurants, I haven't had too many bad
experiences in Calgary. The Pied Pickle didn't exactly thrill me
but it was still edible. That pseudochinese place on Macleod really
sucks (can't remember the name - the one Pham likes).
Home Food Inn??
I'm guessing that is what he means, I haven't been there in at least a
year, possibly two. However they did(do) have a fairly decent buffet.
They were much better than the one that was down on Bonaventure by Marks
Work Warehouse.

I think the best Chinese buffet is the one in the Chinese mall downtown
(on the top floor, off 4th(?))

Best Indian Buffet of course is the one across from Ceasers on 4th.
--
/---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---\
\---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---/
News
2003-10-07 22:13:17 UTC
Post by Pham Nuwen
Post by News
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
In terms of bad non-chain restaurants, I haven't had too many bad
experiences in Calgary. The Pied Pickle didn't exactly thrill me
but it was still edible. That pseudochinese place on Macleod really
sucks (can't remember the name - the one Pham likes).
Home Food Inn??
I'm guessing that is what he means, I haven't been there in at least a
year, possibly two. However they did(do) have a fairly decent buffet.
They were much better than the one that was down on Bonaventure by Marks
Work Warehouse.
I was at Home Food Inn about 2 months ago. I was fairly impressed with
the food, although it really isn't anything special. For those craving a
real change of pace I suggest the Taj Mahal on McLeod Trail. (It's in the
same building as Memory Express.
Sgt Slaughter
2003-10-08 01:00:35 UTC
Post by News
I was at Home Food Inn about 2 months ago. I was fairly impressed with
the food, although it really isn't anything special. For those craving a
real change of pace I suggest the Taj Mahal on McLeod Trail. (It's in the
same building as Memory Express.
What is Indian food like? is it really spicy or can you find some not
too bad stuff? I'm not a fan of really hot spicy food but I would like
to try some Indian fare

Sgt
Dr. Fred Mbogo
2003-10-08 04:55:40 UTC
Post by Sgt Slaughter
What is Indian food like? is it really spicy or can you find some not
too bad stuff? I'm not a fan of really hot spicy food but I would like
to try some Indian fare
I've eated at Royal India out here in Vancouver, and it's not bad. This
particular place offers most of their dishes with varying degrees of
hotness, so I went for medium-mild on a chicken dish. I'd do it again.
Dr. Fred Mbogo
2003-10-09 02:22:42 UTC
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
I've eated at
Me write good English.
News
2003-10-08 15:22:58 UTC
Post by Sgt Slaughter
What is Indian food like? is it really spicy or can you find some not
too bad stuff? I'm not a fan of really hot spicy food but I would like
to try some Indian fare
You can get Non-Spicy, Spicy or "Holy Fuck!" Spicy. The Taj Mahal does
a buffet which is great - only about 20 or so items, but they're each a
really different experience. (You can certainly order from the menu as
well)

The one thing I *don't* like is Chick-Peas. A lot of dishes have them,
maybe 1/3 of them?
Dr. Fred Mbogo
2003-10-08 04:53:36 UTC
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
That pseudochinese place on Macleod really sucks (can't remember the
name -
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
the one Pham likes).
Home Food Inn??
That's the one. It bites the proverbial wax tadpole.
Jack Goldstein
2003-10-07 19:30:10 UTC
Dr. Fred Mbogo wrote in message ...
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
All the ones I haven't been to. :)
Obvious targets are the lesser chains - Denny's, Earl's, Humpty's,
the Scottish Clown etc.
Whaddya' mean, Humpty's? I used to go to the one at West Hills
*all the time*.

Great place!
Tom2Tec
2003-10-08 00:41:58 UTC

excepting all the food comes from tins marked bridgebrand
Murray Peterson
2003-10-08 01:49:28 UTC
Post by Jack Goldstein
Whaddya' mean,
Humpty's? I used to go to the one at West Hills
excepting all the food comes from tins marked bridgebrand
Given that BridgeBrand is one of the city's major food wholesalers, you
will have a very hard time finding restaurants that don't have food marked
by them.
Pham Nuwen
2003-10-08 15:45:06 UTC
Post by Tom2Tec
excepting all the food comes from tins marked bridgebrand
And what is wrong with bridgebrand?
--
/---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---\
\---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---/
Dr. Fred Mbogo
2003-10-08 04:57:53 UTC
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
Obvious targets are the lesser chains - Denny's, Earl's, Humpty's,
the Scottish Clown etc.
Whaddya' mean, Humpty's? I used to go to the one at West Hills
*all the time*.
Humpty's is the Denny's that won't kill you immediately. It's fine if
you want to eat something and don't particularly care about it being
good. It'll at least give your belly something to chew on. But I'd never
go there when I'm after an enjoyable meal.
beeperboy
2003-10-08 00:41:03 UTC
Post by Dr. Fred Mbogo
Obviously I really liked Peter's drive-in, but the last few times I went
there the meat was dangerously undercooked. I hope they've shaped up.
I had to quit eating there a few years ago. Every time I ate one of
their burgers, I got the shits for 2 days. Its amazing nobody has sued
them for undercooking those salmonella burgers. They have good
milkshakes though.

BB
Dr. Fred Mbogo
2003-10-08 04:58:33 UTC
They have good milkshakes though.
That's true. Peter's milkshakes are the best in the city.
Rockboy
2003-10-07 05:41:15 UTC
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
I personally say its The James Joyce and Joyce on 4th. The food and
drinks are ok, but the company's morals and ethics go against our way
of life as a society.
The James Joyce on 8th Ave. has gone out of their way time and time
again for me. The Joyce on 4th, and the bitch in charge there, can rot
in hell.

I saw the Silver Dragon mentioned. The food is alright, but if you're
not Asian, you're not going to get any service.

I made the mistake of going to Applebee's before a movie at Silver City
once. Poor service, poor food, poor atmosphere. I'm never going there
again.
--
Rockboy

I think my life is passing me by
Christine O
2003-10-07 16:54:41 UTC
Post by Rockboy
I made the mistake of going to Applebee's before a movie at Silver City
once. Poor service, poor food, poor atmosphere. I'm never going there
again.
My only complaint there is that the food is a little overpriced and
the fries are notoriously salty - so salty that they can't be enjoyed.

I like the Cheesecake Cafe, but their meals are usually too big :-D
The one at Sunridge is my favourite. The staff is really great there.
Recently we were there and it was just hopping. Dessert was free
because we had to wait about an hour to get our meals. Another time
the chocolate cake I ordered wasn't so great and they gave me a
fresher slice.

I can't really think of an absolutely worst restaurant, although I
don't like Humpty's at all. I went to the James Joyce on Stephen
Avenue and it was all right. I went with a friend from Australia who
was in search of the most authentic Irish pub he could find and he
thought it fit the bill :-)

Bubble tea is awesome. The Dessert House in Chinatown is a nice little
place to go for some :-)

Best,
Christine
News
2003-10-07 22:14:53 UTC
Post by Christine O
Post by Rockboy
I made the mistake of going to Applebee's before a movie at Silver City
once. Poor service, poor food, poor atmosphere. I'm never going there
again.
My only complaint there is that the food is a little overpriced and
the fries are notoriously salty - so salty that they can't be enjoyed.
I like the Cheesecake Cafe, but their meals are usually too big :-D
The one at Sunridge is my favourite. The staff is really great there.
Recently we were there and it was just hopping. Dessert was free
because we had to wait about an hour to get our meals. Another time
the chocolate cake I ordered wasn't so great and they gave me a
fresher slice.
The best restaurants in the city are:

1. The Galaxie Diner (For quick, casual homemade grub)
2. Buon Giornos on 17th Avenue and 8th Street. (More elegant dining, very
awesome food and service)
Tom2Tec
2003-10-08 00:46:11 UTC
News <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:xVGgb.39598| The best
restaurants in the city are:

| 1. The Galaxie Diner (For quick, casual homemade grub)
| 2. Buon Giornos on 17th Avenue and 8th Street. (More elegant dining, very
| awesome food and service)

If you like the Galaxie, try 1886, that's where the owner got his menu. Go later
in the day as the hashbrowns are better. Also, check out the photos in the
basement. As well, the Belmont in Marda Loop is the same guy. Nellies is good
too, but the new ones are not quite as good as the original on 17th.

2tec ~ breaks late
Rockboy
2003-10-08 04:33:39 UTC
Post by Tom2Tec
As well, the Belmont in Marda Loop is the same guy.
Great food, but unless you're very lucky you're going to be standing in
line for awhile.

News
2003-10-08 16:04:59 UTC
Post by Rockboy
Post by Tom2Tec
As well, the Belmont in Marda Loop is the same guy.
Great food, but unless you're very lucky you're going to be standing in
line for awhile.
No sweat - standing around doing nothing is one of the few things I'm
really good at. Almost as good as sitting around doing nothing!

Honestly, I waited for about an hour at the Galaxie (2 weekends ago) and
wasn't the least bit disappointed - as usual. The French Toast is just
sooooooo good there.
Christine O
2003-10-09 15:58:21 UTC
Post by News
1. The Galaxie Diner (For quick, casual homemade grub)
2. Buon Giornos on 17th Avenue and 8th Street. (More elegant dining, very
awesome food and service)
oh! I had forgotten about Bon Giornos. It is fabulous. A bunch of
co-workers would go there all the time when our office was in that
area. I really miss being close to 17th Avenue.

Best,
Christine
Tom2Tec
2003-10-08 00:38:45 UTC
Red Lobster
Humpties
Denny's
Husky House
Eat Dirt
2003-10-08 03:48:08 UTC
Post by Tom2Tec
Husky House
Yes, thanks Tom - I was trying to remember what the worst experience was
but I couldn't remember till you said it. Husky House should be condemnend
and the stuff imprisioned. Man, talk about shitty, shitty food. Only been
there a couple of times (once during Xmas where no other place was open)
and I tell you, they should have been gone out of business many years ago.
The fact that they're still open tells me that many Calgarians have
absolutely low standards.

Eat Dirt - Tastier Than Anything Served At Husky House
--
Eat Dirt, Eat Alberta Beef. Both are good for you.

Eat Dirt (to send email, remove spaces: eatdirt339 @ yahoo.com)
Eat Dirt
2003-10-08 03:50:30 UTC
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
Onother one that just came to mind, after I remembered the horrible dump
that is Husky House: the Homestead on 17 Ave near 14 St SW, just by the
MacDonalds. Man, talk about low standards.
Good thing the only times i've been there were after last call and that is
one of the few places to grab some grub after 3 am. Still though, you will
feel sick next day - not so much from the partying but from that shit they
serve on plates.

News
2003-10-08 16:09:31 UTC
Post by Eat Dirt
Post by Anon
What do you think are the worst restaurants in calgary?
Onother one that just came to mind, after I remembered the horrible dump
that is Husky House: the Homestead on 17 Ave near 14 St SW, just by the
MacDonalds. Man, talk about low standards.
I was in there about a month ago - figured, "How bad could it be".
After about 4 bites I was done. I left the waitress a tip, but refused to
pay for "The Meal". To their credit though, they didn't argue. (Is that an
admission that they know the food sucks?)
Eat Dirt
2003-10-09 06:15:44 UTC
Post by News
I was in there about a month ago - figured, "How bad could it be".
After about 4 bites I was done. I left the waitress a tip, but refused to
pay for "The Meal". To their credit though, they didn't argue. (Is that an
admission that they know the food sucks?)
I'm sure it happens a lot in that place. Heavens, I love junk food and I'm
the guy that eats dirt for fun - so one would think I wouldn't mind eating
worse. But places like the Husky house on 12 Ave and the Homestead are
enough to turn even my stomach. And lets not forget that the couple of
times I went to the homestead was after some heavy drinking in the nearby
bars, meaning you're starving and you don't care what you eat, as long as
it looks like food. Wrong!
That shit they serve is umbearable.
Next time I'm at the motocross track I must remember to pack some dirt and
carry it with me as a doggy bag, in the event I end up in a situation where
I may consider eating that the Homestead.

Eat Dirt, Not Homesteady/Husky Shit

Fred Mathering
CG
2003-10-08 13:15:49 UTC
Red Lobster is overpriced and under-flavoured, plus pretty crappy service.

Moti Mahal on the SW corner of 17th Ave and 14th St, SW has, in my opinion,
the best Indian food in the city. Willy's is my fave for burgers, although
they were better when they used Alberta beef rather then Australian.
News
2003-10-08 16:15:29 UTC
Post by CG
Red Lobster is overpriced and under-flavoured, plus pretty crappy service.
Moti Mahal on the SW corner of 17th Ave and 14th St, SW has, in my opinion,
the best Indian food in the city. Willy's is my fave for burgers, although
they were better when they used Alberta beef rather then Australian.
I walk passed Moti Mahal almost everyday - and never bother going in.
It looks nice, and I've heard good things from a few people. Granted you
like Willy's Hanburgers - which scares the hell out of me. I've had food
poisoning twice, both within a couple hours of eating at Willy's on MacLeod
Trail. Ended up seeing a doctor the second time. (Mushroom Cheeseburger as
I recall......) My friend also got sick the second time - do you know how
fun it is to clean vomit out of your car? It was those experiences that
really cemented my "No Fast Food" rule. You just never know what you're
getting.

But anyhow - Moti Mahal is going on the "I gotta try" list. Is it
expensive?
Pham Nuwen
2003-10-08 17:20:57 UTC
Post by News
But anyhow - Moti Mahal is going on the "I gotta try" list. Is it
expensive?
Not really, it's a little more pricey than Indian buffets but it is
worth it for what you get.

Moti Mahal is one of my favorites. But for Indian Buffet I do either
Tandoori Hut in Kensington, or Touch of India(?) downtown across from
the Mac's on 4th. Both are excellent.

If you are daring, get the chicken vindaloo at Moti Mahal, and remember
drinking water makes it worse, get a nice Indian Beer to wash it down.
--
/---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---\
\---+----+----+----+----+----+----++----+----+----+----+----+----+---/
News
2003-10-08 20:06:43 UTC
Post by Pham Nuwen
Moti Mahal is one of my favorites. But for Indian Buffet I do either
Tandoori Hut in Kensington, or Touch of India(?) downtown across from
the Mac's on 4th. Both are excellent.
If you are daring, get the chicken vindaloo at Moti Mahal, and remember
drinking water makes it worse, get a nice Indian Beer to wash it down.
I have a fairly "Multi-Cultural" group of friends. Last winter we
dedicated each Saturday (or Sunday) night to get together and have an
Authentic cultural meal. So we did the Chinese things (No, not take-out!)
the German thing, the Korean thing etc etc etc. And then came Pakistani.
My friend is an exceptional cook, and I trust that this meal was quite
authentic. (Lamb, a few vegetables etc) But holy moly, one bite and you
were looking for a fire extinguisher. I *love* spicy food, but this was
almost too much. Any hotter and it probably would have taken away from the
meal - but I learned really quick......bite bite, drink milk, bite bite,
drink milk...repeat as needed.
Diogenes
2003-10-09 05:02:26 UTC
Post by Pham Nuwen
Moti Mahal is one of my favorites. But for Indian Buffet I do either
Tandoori Hut in Kensington, or Touch of India(?) downtown across from
the Mac's on 4th. Both are excellent.
If you are daring, get the chicken vindaloo at Moti Mahal, and remember
drinking water makes it worse, get a nice Indian Beer to wash it down.
Yogurt cuts the heat best and they have it on hand. Then
you're ready for more!
Bernie
2003-10-08 17:15:11 UTC
Samosa Grill/Garden by the Peter Lougheed hosp. has amazing Indian/african
food. The curries are more 'delicate', the butter chiken rules! Weekend
buffets include samosas, vegetarian I believe.

I thought Peter's Drive Inn had *terrible* burgers. But I grew up eating
Juniors Fat Boys in Winnipeg....Huge juicy home made burgers (they grind the
beef and make the patties on site) loaded with onions, lettuce, tomatoes,
mayo, and this amazing chili sauce... Their french fries are also
completely home made. I swear that food is the only good thing to visit
Winnipeg for. I can't believe there isn't something similar here.

Bernie
News
Artery clogging or not.....I think I'm going to Winnipeg!
Bernie
2003-10-09 01:21:58 UTC
Post by Bernie
beef and make the patties on site) loaded with onions, lettuce, tomatoes,
mayo, and this amazing chili sauce... Their french fries are also
completely home made. I swear that food is the only good thing to visit
Winnipeg for. I can't believe there isn't something similar here.
Artery clogging or not.....I think I'm going to Winnipeg!
Yeah maybe artery clogging, but if you ate it with a knife and fork and
threw away the bun it would be a low carb meal....It is so juicy that it's
embarassing to eat with someone you just met.....or maybe that could be a
turn on <wicked grin>

It's across from the CBC on Portage ave.

Bernie
Cooter
2003-10-08 23:33:58 UTC
Juniors???????........Hell I want a Burger Factory!

Cooter
<no point given but point taken>
Post by Bernie
Bernie

unknown
2003-10-09 06:22:20 UTC
Post by Bernie
But I grew up eating
Juniors Fat Boys in Winnipeg....Huge juicy home made burgers (they grind the
beef and make the patties on site) loaded with onions, lettuce, tomatoes,
mayo, and this amazing chili sauce... Their french fries are also
completely home made. I swear that food is the only good thing to visit
Winnipeg for. I can't believe there isn't something similar here.
Not to mention the salisbury House burgers... i make it a point to eat at the
one on Pembina at Stafford whenever I'm out there.
Goldfinger
2003-10-10 17:49:45 UTC
Post by Bernie
I thought Peter's Drive Inn had *terrible* burgers. But I grew up eating
Juniors Fat Boys in Winnipeg....Huge juicy home made burgers (they grind the
beef and make the patties on site) loaded with onions, lettuce, tomatoes,
mayo, and this amazing chili sauce... Their french fries are also
completely home made. I swear that food is the only good thing to visit
Winnipeg for. I can't believe there isn't something similar here.
Peter's Drive Inn is overhyped. Their burgers taste terrible and their
fries are dry. I've live in Winnipeg for 6 years and never heard fo Juniors
Fat Boys. Where are they?
East Coast Guy
2003-10-11 02:47:57 UTC
Post by Bernie
beef and make the patties on site) loaded with onions, lettuce, tomatoes,
mayo, and this amazing chili sauce... Their french fries are also
completely home made. I swear that food is the only good thing to visit
Winnipeg for. I can't believe there isn't something similar here.
Peter's Drive Inn is overhyped. Their burgers taste terrible and their
fries are dry. I've live in Winnipeg for 6 years and never heard fo Juniors
Fat Boys. Where are they?
The problem as I see it, is that the city is over populated with the
chain eat joints. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a McD,
Pizza hut etc. So, a place like Peter's is a bit of a fab because
their isn't anymore around. If you go outside the city a few miles to
these little town's you can find tons of little mom & pop eat joints
that cost less than here and the food is usually great. The proof is
in the fact that most small town can only support 1 or 2 spots so only
the best survive. Bad news travels fast in small communities.
Bernie
2003-10-12 02:30:41 UTC
Post by Bernie
beef and make the patties on site) loaded with onions, lettuce, tomatoes,
mayo, and this amazing chili sauce... Their french fries are also
completely home made. I swear that food is the only good thing to visit
Winnipeg for. I can't believe there isn't something similar here.
Peter's Drive Inn is overhyped. Their burgers taste terrible and their
fries are dry. I've live in Winnipeg for 6 years and never heard fo Juniors
Fat Boys. Where are they?
Juniors Restaraunt has a location on Portage Ave near the University of Wpg.
Actually on the opposite side of the street from the CBC building.
Ironically theres a McD's about a block away.... I think there is also a
Juniors on McPhillips Ave somewhere near Notre Dame. They used to have one
on Henderson Hwy around Carmen, but I think it's changed its name to
something else. If you're really hungry have a double Fat Boy....and ask
for fried onions.....oh goddd.

Cheers!
Bernie